Vodafone hits Indian ownership limit

Mega carrier Vodafone has upped its interest in Indian operator Vodafone Essar from 41 per cent to 63 per cent at a cost of around $3.32bn.

As a result of the deal, Vodafone will own 74 per cent of Vodafone Essar via its subsidiaries, with the remaining 26 per cent controlled by Indian shareholders.

Vodafone has been slowly increasing its holding in the Indian venture since its 2007 $11.7bn acquisition of Hutchison’s stake in the Indian carrier. Indian foreign ownership rules limit direct investment at 74 per cent, so Vodafone has now hit its ceiling.

Vodafone Essar has around 142 million subscribers, putting it at third place in the country behind Bharti and Reliance.

[icit_ranker object_id=40 ]

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


What role will consumers expect telcos to play when COVID-19 is behind us?

  • As a reliable utility similar to the role they have managed to play during the pandemic (45%, 13 Votes)
  • Rolling out new technologies and services to support new customer behaviours (28%, 8 Votes)
  • Turning special service offerings during the pandemic into standard offerings (17%, 5 Votes)
  • As a digital platform that they have struggled to change into since the pre-COVID times (10%, 3 Votes)

Total Voters: 19

Loading ... Loading ...