news


Sonaecom gives up on Portugal Telecom

Portuguese operator Sonaecom said Wednesday that it has offloaded all its shares – a total of just over 1 per cent – in larger rival Portugal Telecom.

The move comes after shareholders in Portugal Telecom yet again turned down an Eur11.8bn hostile takeover bid from smaller rival Sonaecom last week.

Portugal Telecom has fended off increasingly larger bids from Sonaecom for around a year now, always maintaining that the offers were too low.

It now appears that Sonaecom has given up on its takeover plan.

The Portuguese incumbent had said it would distribute some Eur6.2bn to shareholders over the next three years through dividends and a share buyback programme if they voted against the takeover.


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Polls

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.