AT&T furthers its Mexican ambitions as Nextel acquisition completes

As various telecoms mega deals trudge through torturous scrutiny prior to their eventual completion, or sometimes not, AT&T has been quietly expanding its North American empire into Mexico.

AT&T completed the acquisition of Iusacell at the start of this year and has now completed the acquisition of fellow Mexican operator Nextel for a net price of $1.45 billion. The two will now form part of an expanded ‘North American service area’ for AT&T, which possibly hints at further acquisitions in the continent.

Ovum’s WCIS service says Iusacell had 8% of total Mexican mobile subscribers by the end of 2014, while Nextel had 3%. AT&T will combine the two companies, but hasn’t given it a name yet. With 11% of the market AT&T Mexico will still trail Movistar on 21% of subscribers and dominant Telcel, still has a 68% share in spite of regulatory pressure to get that number below 50%.

“Mexico is the second-largest economy in Latin America and has a growing middle class. This economic strength, combined with Mexico’s close geographic, economic and cultural ties to the U.S., make it an attractive place for AT&T to invest,” said AT&T in its announcement.

Tags: ,

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


There are no upcoming events.


Do you agree public funding should be used to support mobile operators to more broadly deploy Open RAN?

Loading ... Loading ...